Active Management of the Third Stage of Labor: Tools to Conduct a National Survey
- Introduction (42 KB)
- Study Design : A description of the study, as well as a template of the document that most countries have used to request ethical approval for the study.
- Study design description (61 KB)
- Training Materials :
- An overview of the AMTSL study (254 KB) (Power Point)- designed to use with data collectors.
- An overview of the AMTSL training (19 KB) (Power point) - designed to use during the training of data collectors to explain the objectives of the study and to summarize the agenda and content of the training.
- An overview of the AMTSL study for country coordinators who will be responsible for the study (254 KB) (Power point) - designed as an introduction to country coordinators to walk them through common sample designs for this study, to provide a brief explanation of self-weighting and weighted samples, and to discuss the definition of AMTSL use which has been used thus far in these studies. Coming soon: country level budgets and country level timelines.
- Template of the schedule for the training of data collectors (39 KB) – provided to give readers an idea of how much time we have spent on each of the activities in training and of the various materials and techniques we have used (use of anatomical model, role plays, etc.).
- Sampling : Provides guidelines on designing the sample and on drawing the actual sample of health facilities to be included in the study.
- Sampling plan for AMTSL surveys (260 KB)
- Questionnaires : Questionnaires used in the AMTSL study.
- The core national level questionnaire (176 KB) - documents the policy environment at the national level and contains information regarding the storage of uterotonic drugs in the central pharmaceutical storage site.
- The core facility level questionnaire (261 KB) - documents the availability and content of standard treatment guidelines in each facility, the contents of the drug procurement list and the storage conditions for uterotonic drugs in the facility pharmacy.
- The core observation of deliveries questionnaire (120 KB) - documents how the third and forth stages of labor were managed, as well as documenting the storage conditions of uterotonic drugs and supplies in the maternity unit.
- Questionnaire Commentaries : Provide question by question advice for each of the three questionnaires listed above. For example, the commentaries explain why the question is being asked or how it might be used in analysis, draw attention to the data collector about common mistakes that have been made in the past and provide more instructions on how to fill out the questionnaires than is sometimes included in the actual questionnaires.